A Whimsical Project

Posted by Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage

I have been feeding the humming birds for years now, and I still just get one or two at a time and they fight on top of it. They are very aggressive little guys. I was reading that if you put out more than one feeder then they are more likely to play well with others. So I went and bought 4 little cute feeders for only .97 cents each and put them across my patio. I was not going to do the pretty red ribbon but I missed place the plastic hangers that came with it.OKAY the truth is my husband threw them away thinking they were trash. But that's okay because I like the red ribbon idea. I don't have any whimsical things around so I thought this was kinda cute.

After I put sugar water in the feeders I sat there to wait and see if they would come. ( you know build it and they will come) Well one little guy decided to be brave and it was so cute he started and the right and worked his way down. He just had to taste all 4 of them. I have seen only one at a time so far. I am not sure if the theory is right but time will tell. If you are one of those lucky people who get lots of humming birds at the same time please tell me your secret. That goes to all you sweet ladies who stop by but are shy. I would love to get some ideas on how to get more humming birds in my garden.
I am so glad that the Lord gave us all the different kinds of backyard birds to be able to enjoy. It is truly my favorite thing to do is just relax and listen to the beautiful birds sing.
I hope everyone has a beautiful weekend God Bless,
ginger

This entry was posted at 7/06/2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

9 comments

I just love hummingbirds. They are so small & work so hard. The hummingbird containers you found are surely going to make their visits wonderful! Luckily you! You have done a beautiful job on your outside.

Hugs

July 6, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Great idea for the hummingbirds. The red ribbons will lead them right where they want to go. I like your cross on the patio. Hope you guys are having a great weekend.

July 6, 2008 at 3:06 PM

I love hummingbirds too!!
I have a tiny feeder on my window, it's so cool to watch closeup.
I also have a feeder like yours on my patio, I have had 3 of them at a time feeding.
Love the red ribbon.
Rosemary

July 6, 2008 at 7:14 PM

I don't know the secret either, my little sweetpea, but I do love the birds flittering back and forth. The ribbon idea sounds spectacular to me!
Smoochies,
Connie

July 7, 2008 at 9:43 AM

We have two feeders. I read somewhere to put them out of sight of each other...so one is at the back of the house and one in the front. We have 3 hummers...two males and a female. They are always chasing each other away from both feeders - lol.
Hugs,
Penny

July 7, 2008 at 5:42 PM

Hi Ginger, I'm hearing birds sing and chatter right now and I just love it too.

Your feeders look so pretty with the red ribbon...I like it. Did you know hummers are attracted to red (I read this). I make my sugar water too, I have one feeder...somtimes I'll have several visitors at one time and then somtimes just one at a time. I just love to watch them and they make so much noise with their wings you can hear them coming...love it. Enjoy your beautiful patio and the sweet hummers...hugs, Linda

July 7, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Great idea! I hope it works. Nothing is better than to hear the whirrr of their little wings! I just love them!

Your patio looks so inviting and I am eyeballing that fountain of yours! Fabulous!!

xo
Becky

July 8, 2008 at 10:50 AM
Anonymous  

One of my great passions is feeding and watching hummingbirds. I have learned over the years that these little critters are just going to fight no matter what you do. I think it's nature, as they are use to drinking from flowers that only supply a limited amount of nectar at a time. Thus, naturally, hummers fight very hard to protect their food source. I have feeders on my front porch and on my back porch and they still fight. Just yesterday I had at least seven fighting over one feeder on my back porch and could see others fighting on the front porch. This year I planted Lantana all around my house and have planted a few Rose of Sharon trees. This attracts more hummers and gives them additional food sources and they seem to love it. Through the years I have just accepted the fighting, moved my table and chair away from their feeders (for my protection, lol) and enjoy watching them while they are here! They are certainly delightful!

Jae

July 10, 2008 at 4:48 PM

WOW!7 hummingbirds in back and more in front. That's great. I planted some salvia in a pot on my patio and they eat out of it more than the feeders. I love Rose of Sharon, I was not aware that the hummingbirds like them as well. Thank-you I will have to get one.
Thank-you for stopping by
ginger

July 11, 2008 at 7:01 AM

Post a Comment