A Conversation

Posted by Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage


I have been reading my Bible for over an hour this morning going over what I wanted to say today, but I decided to tell you about a conversation that I had with a customer at work( I work at a grocery store). It was Friday morning and I was extremely busy trying to get everything done that needed to be done as time is precious at work.


There is an older man(76) who shops where I work, he comes in the store maybe once a week or two times, maybe not at all. I always say hello and he smiles and says good morning back, he will ask where something is and I will walk him to the item he is looking for, our conversation is never anything more. I knew this man was different. I've tried to figure his life out, if he was married , if his wife past away, if he had children, grandchildren, and if he had the Lord in his life. Well on this Friday morning he came walking down where I was working, we said good morning and then the conversation began and went on for over 40 minutes. By the time we were done with our conversation we both had tears in our eyes.

He was married for 35 years he had 3 girls and a boy, the boy was the fourth child. He told me he always wanted a son, but that this son was not his, that his wife had an affair. He said he loved her so much that he raised this boy as his own son and promised his wife he would not say a thing. The son never knew until he was in his twenties. Now he does not speak to this the man that fathered him because of this secret that he promised his wife that he loved so much. He told me that he kept this a secret because he is a man of his word. His wife left him 10 years ago, for another man. He said to me I was faithful to her all of our 35 years of marriage, oh how I loved her. He said he knew God had a purpose and was still learning this. He knew that God did not want him to hurt anymore.


This man has wrote 3 books and is writing his fourth now. He told me it is the Lord that keeps me going, it is the Lord that helps me get out of bed in the mornings. He proceeded to tell me about some of his aches and pains and that he knew he was getting to the end, but he said, it's Gods plan.





I sympathised with him as he told me his story, and I told him that I live everyday for the Lord, he said I knew you were different, he knew I had the Lord in my life.



When somebody ask me what I do for a living I tell them I work at a grocery store but I'm still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up. But I'm grow up now and I thank the Lord everyday for my job that I love and have had for 30 years, and for the people who have touched my heart over the years like this man did on this Friday morning. And for the man that I met at work 20 years ago who I now call my husband, it was God's plan.








A prayer


Lord, I pray that you be with this man and help him with this pain that he has carried for so many years. I pray that you bless him with good health as he gets older. Lord I knew he had you in his life what a gracious man he was, what a humble man he is. Continue to watch over him and bless him Lord.


It's in your name that I pray ,


Amen!
For more Spiritual Sunday's please visit here.


This entry was posted at 2/28/2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

22 comments

Wonderful post. I love the way you told this man's story and yours. (Also, very good job on the things we talked about recently during your visit). Thanks for posting this. You make me want to be kinder to others.

February 28, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Ginger,
I am so blessed tonight,Gods timing is so perfect, HE had you there to listen to this dear man share about his life,and to offer some encouraging words, and just think, now you know how to pray for him. Isn't our God AWESOME!!! Thank you for sharing!!
Blessings,
Sue

February 28, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Ginger, that was an awesome post! God had you there at the right time. Most people carry heavy burdens we know nothing about. I know that your kindness meant a lot to this man.

March 1, 2009 at 1:17 AM

What a beautiful love story. God IS good! Thanks for sharing. Happy Spiritual Sunday.

March 1, 2009 at 5:32 AM

DEAR GOD,
I ASK THAT YOU BLESS GINGER AND CONTINUE TO USE HER AS A MISSIONARY IN HER LITTLE CHAPEL CALLED A GROCERY STORE. WE THANK YOU LORD FOR USING US AND LOVING US. BLESS THIS FAITHFUL MAN THAT GINGER TALKED TO ON FRIDAY. WE PRAISE YOU LORD. AMEN AND AMEN

GINGER, THIS IS MY FIRST TIME TO YOUR BLOG AND I LOVE IT. YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION
BLESSINGS
debbie

March 1, 2009 at 9:13 AM

The power of listening is a prayer itself. Wonderful post.

March 1, 2009 at 9:21 AM
Anonymous  

Ginger, your story this morning is sad and beautiful at the same time. Some times we don't know why the Lord puts us in a place where we can listen to a story such as his and somehow be a comfort to that person. Thank you for sharing a little about you too. I think you grew up a long time ago. Smile.

Hugs...Jeanne

March 1, 2009 at 9:49 AM
Anonymous  

Thank you for sharing this story. You're right. God does put us where he wants us to be if we are open to his leading, and sometimes even if we're not. God knows who we are, and who we will become in the future. It's great you are doing His work where you have been placed at this time in your life.
I feel the same way you do about our relationship. It's nice to get to know you as a friend (blogging and otherwise) and not just someone who is married to my husband's nephew.
Have great day my friend.
Charlotte

March 1, 2009 at 10:01 AM

What a special time of fellowship with this man. I'm so glad that you were there for him. Talk about a God Thing!

March 1, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Good post. I really enjoyed reading this. God bless you for your service to him.
Judy

March 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Ginger... I have always believed that God puts us where we need to be, when we need to be there... If we let Him. I think your story is proof of that. Lovely story. Blessings. Dixie

March 1, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Ginger,
What a beautiful and wonderful post.
(sniff..sniff..teary eyed) It really touched my heart. God is so good!!! I
will keep this man in my prayers.
Julie

March 1, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Ginger, this post touched me. When a person walks with the Lord in their hearts ans life other people know it. I wlll keep this gentle man in my prsyers as well.

God bless.

March 1, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Hi Ginger,
I was very moved by your story. You may work at the grocery store, but it is your missionary field and the Lord obviously shines through you on a daily basis. He has used you to touch the life of this man and probably many, many others that you are not aware of just yet. God uses us wherever He plants us and we are blessed to be called His! Thank you so much for sharing with us today.

Blessings,
Sandi

March 1, 2009 at 7:08 PM

I am new here! What a great blog :)

March 1, 2009 at 10:30 PM

What a wonderful story you shared with us! It just shows that we never know who is watching us and our lives are a testimony for the Lord! I pray this man will be blessed many times over for his devotion!

March 2, 2009 at 6:57 AM

Ginger,
What a wonderful post today! My heart is aching for that dear man! It seems that he really needed someone to talk to and God put you in his path so that he would know that he is not alone in this world - there are fellow-Christians out there willing to help carry burdens and pray for the needs of others. What a blessing you were to him at that moment!
Oh - I pray that he will find joy again! I hope and pray that his son will remember the father that this man was to him and run to him again! I am constantly amazed at the pain that we all have to live with in this life filled with sin.

You are a light shining at your place of work - keep up the good work dear sister!
Blessings on your day today,
Kymber

March 2, 2009 at 7:50 AM

What a sweet story, well I guess it is bittersweet. Some people have to go through so much pain in their lifetime. I'm glad you got to talk to him.

Katherine
I'm a little late with replies. We are going out of town Saturday, for a week, so I won't be able to participate in SS.

Katherine

March 6, 2009 at 12:12 AM
Anonymous  

What a wonderful post. I am blogging tonight, myself, and dropped by to glance at you from my blog, "New Moon Cottage and Gardens." I've got you on my favorites list there. Wow! I'm glad I stopped by tonight. God bless you for sharing this.

Stephanie Boles
Regency Whispers
Romance that Speaks to the Soul

March 8, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Hi Ginger. I am a new visitor to your blog. Your story touched me. Bless your heart and that man's too. I'll say a prayer for him.

Gina

March 8, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Ginger, I pray blessings on that man as well and you! What a sweet story!

XO,

Sheila :-)

March 9, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Ginger, This story touches my heart..Thank you so much for sharing it..

God bless you...

March 10, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Post a Comment