A Good Land

Posted by Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage

Please vist HERE for more Spiritual Sundays


Deuteronomy 8:8,

where the Israelites are promised "a good land…, a land of wheat and barley, of vines, figs, and pomegranates, a land of olive trees and honey.

Olive Oil
Olives, and the extra-virgin oil that is made from a single pressing of the fruit, contain many of the antioxidants that are thought to protect against the oxidation of LDL cholesterol compounds. They also are high in monounsaturated fatty acids, which are called "the healing fats" because they lower the effects of "bad" cholesterol while raising "good" cholesterol levels. High in vitamin E, olive oil also is thought to protect against colon cancer, and it is helpful in fighting gastritis and other stomach ailments.

Barley-
A diet that includes lots of barley, three times a day, has lowered blood cholesterol by about 15 percent in a number of medical studies.

Fig-
One study found that the fruit fiber in figs is linked to reduced systolic blood pressure(Upper number, representing pressure during heart’s contractions).All fiber is associated with reduced diastolic blood pressure. Figs also contain vitamin B6, which has been shown to help women to cope with the stress and tension.

Grapes-
A cup of raw grapes for example, contain only 58 calories; a minuscule 0.3 grams of fat; zero cholesterol, and vitamins A,B and c The minerals in addition to boron include calcium, potassium and zinc. Grapes fight tooth decay, stop viruses in their tracks and are rich in other ingredients that many researchers believe can head off cancer.

Pomegranate-
The fruits are rich in antioxidants, which prevent LDL cholesterol from doing its damage, and it helps prevent blood clots by keeping blood platelets from clumping together. Pomegranates may also help reduce the risk of breast cancer and lessen the symptoms of arthritis.

Honey-
Endomorphism have a powerful influence on our mood, memory, learning ability and perception of pain. Endomorphism affect the brain much the way morphine does-and these natural painkillers are non addictive. So honey taken for a sore throat apparently works by dulling the pain. “Honey has the power to make us feel better by improving our mood and think well by stimulating the part of the brain responsible for learning.”

Please pray for my husband he is going through a number of test. This week will be his 3rd week doing so. The doctors keep finding something with his heart and keep going to the next text. We have changed our eating habits ten fold.
I always thought I was being such a good wife by making his lunch with all of his favorite things like bacon and cheese, and egg burritos, by making his favorite dinners, tacos, hamburgers,fried foods. I know now that being a good wife is provided the healthy foods that he needs. I chose to do this post today because it is our new way of eating and what a better way than to choose foods from the Bible.

We still have our little stash of chocolate, because after all it is high in antioxidants~~~~





Blessings,



This entry was posted at 4/25/2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

23 comments

We would all be so much more healthy if we ate right. This is an interesting list. God has provided all the right things for us, we just ignore it and eat burgers and french fries.
I'm so sorry to hear about Wayne's problems. I'm praying that he will get good news and he will be OK.
Hugs,
Charlotte
Oh, I went over to Julie's blog. What a generous thoughtful sweet thing for you to do for her.

April 25, 2009 at 11:13 AM

I need all the help I can get on eating right. Thank you for posting this at this time.

I will be praying for your hubby. I hope that it is nothing serious.
Blessings,
Cheryl

April 25, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Hi Ginger,

Just stopping by as I haven't visited in a while. I enjoyed reading your post. I'm sending up a prayer right now that the doctors, etc. will soon find your husband's health problem and get busy correcting it. I will continue to pray for you and him.

April 25, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Ginger, I will remember Wayne in my prayers. I sure hope they find answers for you soon.

We had a feast at school one day last week, eating foods from the bible during religion class. It was great fun.

God bless.

April 25, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Forgot to say Harvey sends his prayers for Wayne along with mine.

April 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM

wow I knew those foods where good for you but I didn't now they where that good :)
I pray that your new eating plan has already started to heal your husbands body.
Your still a lovely wife and a encouraging and thoughtful woman of God :)
Hugs to you
Melly:)

April 26, 2009 at 2:30 AM

I was raised that a good Sunday dinner was fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and some green vegetable cooked in bacon fat. Who knew? I'll pray for your guy. Thanks for sharing. Happy Spiritual Sunday.

April 26, 2009 at 6:24 AM

I have been convicted lately about the way I've been eating, Ginger, and I can so identify with this post. I pray your husband is going to be healed.

If you don't have a nauturopath who can advise you on eating to live, you might find assistance at a local health food store. I had very high cholesterol, etc., and I got it under control in less than a year with the help of my naturopath. However, I went through a very stressful summer and fall last year and managed to get sidetracked from my good eating habits. Now, I have to go back to Square One.

XO,

Sheila

April 26, 2009 at 7:39 AM

Don't beat yourself up about your diet. You were only doing what you knew to do and now that you know better you'll do better! God allows u-turns(: I'll be praying for your husband.

April 26, 2009 at 8:54 AM

This is an uplifting post. Thanks! Your husband is on my prayer list for healing.

April 26, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Very interesting! We are praying for Wayne. I will try to send an email this afternoon. I want to encourage him to sign up for the book I am giving away.

April 26, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Hi Ginger,
We all tend to eat the wrong foods from time to time; you were only being a good wife. The Lord knows that! I found your post on food very interesting. God knows what is best for us, including our diets! Thank you for sharing and I too will pray that your hubby will be ok. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Blessings,
Sandi

April 26, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Hi Ginger,
I want to personally thank you for this post, as God has been dealing with me lately of my eating habits, after reading this information I know now is the time to change! I have been telling God yes I am going to do something but......

I most certainly will be praying for your husband,that the test results will all be positive, I will also pray that God will continue to strengthen you as you minister to his needs. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Sue

April 26, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Healthy eating is good - especially if we would only do it!

Praying for you hubby.

Hugs. Ruthie

April 26, 2009 at 6:35 PM

I am praying for you and your husband. As the song promises, may your strength rise as you wait upon the Lord. How He loves us!

April 26, 2009 at 8:14 PM

I so heartedly agree with all you posted. We are what we eat and drink. I was a diet` coke` aholic! And some might laugh at the term but I was a 12 pack of cans a day it was so bad for my health. I am now 13 years free and haven't had a cafffenated soda since the day I asked the lord to help me quit. The scriptures are such a great hands on manual of advice even for our diet!
I need to lose some weight since a broke my back 2 years ago and gained weight and slowly tharis happening...by just eating healthy.

I pray your husband gets better and the doctors will know what to do.

Beth

ps my verification word is nutsegood! LOL. Nuts e` good ...it just made me laugh. nuts are good for you too:-)!

April 27, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Hi Ginger,
Thank you for the wonderful information on foods. God knew what he was doing when he provided us with good foods - seems somehow most of us got off the track and we all need to eat healthy foods.
I have put Wayne on my prayer list for complete and perfect healing.
Yes, by all means you can put something about my give away on your sidebar. I would be honored.
Prayers and blessings for you and Wayne.
Erin

April 27, 2009 at 7:41 AM

Just dropped by to say that we are still praying for Wayne. Have a great week.

April 27, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I loved that post on the healthy foods. I am trying to change my eating habits too. I am also having heart tests done. Praying for your husband and a good report.

April 28, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Hi, Ginger..thanks so much for coming by to see me...I always love hearing from you.
I am trying so hard to eat right..it is really a hard thing to do...so much other stuff out there that we love...fries..burgers..pizza..strawberry shortcake!!

April 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

((Ginger))
I hope all is well with your hubby. You ARE being a good wife - try not to beat yourself up over it. I, too am guilty of overindulging my hubby when it comes to food. It is how we women show our love - we are caregivers!

I applaud your efforts to turn things around. God is so good to have alerted you both to the problem EARLY. It is so hard to turn eating habits around but when you do - you will be amazed at how good you will feel and how good simple foods can taste when you get back to basics. I am telling you this from experience because I am trying to do the same for my hubby and myself at this time too.

my heart goes out to you and I pray that all goes well with your new changes and that answers can be found as to what is going on. I pray that he will recover quickly!
Blessings,
Kymber

April 28, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Ginger,
It is so easy to blame yourself but now you know what your hubby needs and will do it! Thanks for the list of bible foods - we do know what is bad for us and somtimes just can't help eating those potatoes and gravy (comfort foods.) Hope the news is better the next time you and Wayne see his doctor.

Blessings,
Jean

April 29, 2009 at 5:07 PM

It is so good to know about the nutritional value of those common foods. My son is recovering from a bad episode of Colitis and we are thinking twice about what we eat also. I pray for your husband's healing as well. God bless you.

May 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Post a Comment