How Do You Store Your old Linens?

Posted by Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage









Ever since I was a little girl I have memories of me going threw my mom's and grandma's linen closet. I have always had a passion for lines and there homes.
I have an extra dresser where I put my lines and a closet. I guess I would have to say if I collect anything it would be linens, all kinds but mostly table linens. I alway's wanted a pretty home for them with some glass doors to display them pretty.

How To Store Old Linen
From Pamela Wiggins,
Storing heirloom linens properly will keep them beautiful for years to come.Difficulty: EasyTime Required: 5 minutes per itemHere's How:1. Store linens laying flat if possible and avoid folds since they stress the fabric.2. If they must be folded, use acid-free tissue or muslin to cushion the folds.3. Smaller linens can be stored by rolling them onto cardboard tubes wrapped with several layers of acid-free tissue or muslin.4. Wrap linens with acid-free tissue or muslin to protect them, especially if stored in ordinary cardboard, paper, metal or wood boxes.5. Keep in mind that unsealed wood containers, such as cedar chests, will eventually stain cloth items.6. Avoid plastic boxes, they don't allow air circulation and trap mildew causing moisture along and produce static electricity which attracts dust.Tips:Refold linens occasionally to distribute wear and minimize damage.Ordinary cardboard, paper, metal and wood will deteriorate textiles with direct contact.To reverse staining, especially from wood, expensive treatments by a professional may be needed.















































This entry was posted at 5/08/2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Anonymous  

I've never had any linens, but those pictures are lovely!☺

May 8, 2008 at 4:31 PM

I've seen these kinds of instructions for storing linens. I've always thought it was much more trouble than I was willing to go to. I'm sure it's a good idea though. Me, I just stack them up in the closets. Beautiful pictures you posted. I always enjoy seeing lovely linens in lovely cabinets, etc.

May 8, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Post a Comment