Coffee Grounds

Posted by Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage


Everyday after I make my coffee I empty the grounds into a pretty
container and when it is full I just put in in my garden. Well What I did not
know is that the snails dislike the coffee grounds, they don't like the way it feels on their bellies. So I now have some flowers like delphiniums, that would never grow before because the snails got to them.

In July I am taking a compost class with a friend from work, we are both pretty excited about it. I have learned a lot from the blog Compost Confidential also.

Have a great day,
Edit: Let me rephrase that, when I make coffee. My husband and I take turns, not every other day but some days I make the coffee and some days he makes the coffee. But never the less the coffee grounds still get put in the pretty little
container.

Ginger

This entry was posted at 5/15/2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

How interesting. I wish I had known about this when we lived in Stockton. We had tons of snails there. Too hot for them here.
Charlotte

May 15, 2009 at 5:19 PM

"Everyday after I make my coffee"...YOU don't make the coffee EVERYDAY. Some days Wayne makes it. WHEN HE CAN REMEMBER! Or maybe he doesn't always tell the truth. The other night when I called he said HE was making coffee.

May 15, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Hello Ginger!

What a wonderful use for those coffee grounds and save your pretty flowers too.:o) I just hate those little pesky snails.

Smiles...

Beverly

May 16, 2009 at 1:51 AM

Stumbled in at your Enchanted Cottage today and was delighted to find a gardening friend! So you know of no downside to using coffee grounds? If not, I'll try it!

May 16, 2009 at 6:53 AM

Coffee grounds add wonderful nutrients to your soil as well Ginger. Glad to hear they keep the snails away as well. I love delphiniums!! Sniff, sniff, two plants seem to have died this winter.

I am planning on planting the seeds you gave me in one of my front flower beds. I can hardly wait for the weather to warm up enough to sprinkle the seeds over the newly tilled soil (I will have to do this once again).

God bless.

May 16, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Ginger,
What a great idea! I have Hosta plants that slugs love to chew on. Do you think the coffee grounds would work for them also?


~Jean

May 17, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Oh my gosh I'm so glad I saw this! The snails are eating my delphiniums I have planted in the ground and I didn't want to put out snail bait because I was afraid Beau would eat it. Thank you so much! I've been putting coffee grinds on my azaleas and my gardenias because they like the acid but I never knew it deterred snails!

I'll be making coffee tomorrow morning!!!

May 26, 2009 at 1:39 AM

Post a Comment