Posted by Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage

singing birds


A Happy Heart
August 14,2010



I came across this story and I enjoyed it, I hope that you do too.

The 92-year-old, petite, well-poised and proud lady, who is fully dressed each morning by eight o'clock, with her hair fashionably coifed and makeup perfectly applied, even though she is legally blind, moved to a nursing home today.

Her husband of 70 years recently passed away, making the move necessary.

After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, she smiled sweetly when told her room was ready. As she maneuvered her walker to the elevator, I provided a visual description of her tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that had been hung on her window.

"I love it," she stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old having just been presented with a new puppy.

"Mrs. Jones, you haven't seen the room .... just wait."

"That doesn't have anything to do with it," she replied.

"Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is arranged ... it's how I arrange my mind.

I already decided to love it ... It's a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice; I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do. Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open I'll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I've stored away ... just for this time in my life."

Authors Details: Unknown Author


Psalm 118:24
"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."

Proverbs 15:13
A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit.

Proverbs 15:15
All the days of the oppressed are wretched, but the cheerful heart has a continual feast.



To read more Spiritual Sunday post please visit HERE


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This entry was posted at 8/14/2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

28 comments

Hi Ginger...thanks for sharing this...I've reading lots of real similar themes of thankfulness, gratitude, happiness is a choice...choosing to see the blessings in any given situation etc...They've been especially touching for me this week!! Thanks for sharing this. I really loved reading it. Have a good weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

August 14, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Great posting,thanks for it.

August 14, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I have heard this story before. It is so true and kind. This was a beautiful Spiritual Sunday presentation. Blessings to you sweet lady. Thank you. Anne

August 14, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I especially appreciated the line that said, "It's how you arrange your mind." Happiness is a choice! Thank you for posting that. =)

August 14, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I really do believe happiness is a choice. However, that doesn't at all mean that it's an easy choice to make. Sometimes life can be really, really hard and it becomes very difficult to choose happiness. I suppose the real message behind that saying is that we can control what happens in our minds. There's a lot that goes on outside of us, but we have the ability to control what kind of attitude we want to have.
Sweet Blessings.
Virginia

August 14, 2010 at 11:29 PM

I believe that Ginger...each day is a gift. I struggle with change but it is easier to accept that to fight that change...

August 15, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Hi Ginger,
What a beautiful story and as I read it I couldn't help but think of my mom....she is 85 and lives in Glendale, Calif. and luckily, is still in her home and does everything for herself...The woman in your story sure has a positive attitude--it is a blessing.

I'm so glad you liked the fairy garden! I put your name in for when I do the drawing...
Hugs,
Cindy
xox

August 15, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I love this story....so very true!

August 15, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Bless her little heart.. My mom went into a home after my dad died, due to health issues.. but I wish it could of went that well..
She was not happy at first, and that saddened me, feeling like I had failed her.. but towards the end, she came to terms with it..
There is 5 of us kids.. and all but 1 lives in the same town, so she had visitors EVERYDAY.. and she was taken very good care of.. but it just wasnt home..
Nice post.. Thanks for sharing

August 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM

The Bible tells us to "fix" our hearts on things above--when we let the Holy Spirit control us, our attitudes are like the one described in this story. I want to let Him have control of me. A very good word. Thank you.

August 15, 2010 at 7:38 PM
Anonymous  

Ginger, I enjoyed the story you shared today. My mom was legally blind most of my life. She passed away 2 years ago. I can truly say that she lived each hour of every day to the fullest. Never sad for what she could not see/do; just extremely thankful for what she could enjoy. Wishing you a great week.

August 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM

This lady has learned how to adjust. And just think...she didn't get that way overnight. She was/is a work in progress. This is a great teaching.

August 15, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Great story and post. I see you know Author Unknown. What a great guy/gal LOl.. Have a great week

August 15, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Wonderful post today Ginger! Thank you for changing the date on my blog,I wonder how that happened? I wondered why someone left a comment today on my post from 2 weeks ago! Have a great week, Nan

August 15, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Wow, Ginger, I love this post. It makes me even more determined to be happy in whatever circumstance. Thank you for sharing it.
Blessings,
Charlotte

August 15, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Great post. This woman has a wonderful attitude. I just noticed my wife made the last comment before mine. Charlotte generally is a happy woman almost every day and in every situation. She blesses my life.

August 15, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Aside from a little arthritis I have no reason to complain, and much for which to be grateful. I hope and pray that when that changes I will be as grateful for the healthy days I had and will be able to still look forward to each day with thankfulness as the gracious lady in your story.

August 16, 2010 at 3:56 AM

Such truth here. I have chosen to be see my glass 1/2 full and enjoy the good in life.

August 16, 2010 at 9:38 AM

This is such a beautiful story! It is all about attitude isn't it?

August 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM

I have seen this before and have always loved it. I am practicing to be just like her when I grow older.

August 17, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Hi Ginger, thanks so much for stopping by and saying hi..I very much enjoyd spritual sunday this week and will continue to visit..

I see you don't live very far from me, we are near Palm Springs..my best friend is in Corona..Small world!

Barb

August 17, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I loved this story! That is the attitude I would like to have every day. I'm sure it is the one God desires from us...and would bring a smile to His face. Thank you for sharing this.

August 17, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Just stopping by to say hello...I so enjoy your blog...keep the inspirations going...
Love ya, Amy

August 18, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Wonderful reminder that the one thing we can always control is how we respond to any situation .
Blessings,
~Myrna

August 20, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Hi Ginger,
Happy Spiritual Sunday. Thank you for sharing the beautiful story reminding us it is all about our attitude and how we choose to respond to the situation.

What a wonderful Miracle weekend with so many Blog Angels participating in sharing inspirational stories.
Blessings,
Erin

August 29, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I love this story and I truly believe it can work! Hope you have a wonderful week full of love and blessings!

August 29, 2010 at 10:37 PM

What an uplifting story! Happiness is indeed a choice.

August 30, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Great post! So uplifting. Thank you for that. I appreciate these scriptures too!

-Kim

September 25, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Post a Comment